How to Make Mushroom Tea: A Beginner's Guide
Table of Contents
Mushroom tea is quickly becoming one of the most popular health drinks around.
Not only does it have a unique, earthy taste but it also provides many amazing health benefits.
From boosting the immune system to improving mental clarity and focus, mushroom tea is a delicious way to get your daily dose of nutrition and stay healthy.
Its unique flavor makes it an ideal choice for people looking for a tasty alternative to traditional tea.
In this article, we'll guide you through the steps of brewing this delicious beverage at home. But first, let's explore what mushroom tea is all about.
Different Ways of Combining Mushrooms and Tea
Mushroom tea is simply made by steeping different types of mushrooms in hot water along with tea.
But, if you know tea and mushrooms, there are a few ways this can happen.
There are different ways to combine tea and mushrooms, including:
- Adding a Mushroom Extract with Brewed Tea
- Using premixed Mushroom and Tea Sachets
- Combining Loose leaf Tea and Mushrooms
We’ll explore the steps for each of these methods below. Each of them comes with their own benefits.
How to Make Mushroom Tea Using a Mushroom Extract
Brewing mushroom tea this way is most like brewing your average cup of tea. The only difference is that you would add an oil-based mushroom extract at the end of the brewing process. Here’s how to go about it:
- Boil water: Start by boiling the desired amount of water in a kettle or pot. The temperature of the water will depend on the type of tea you are using but will surely be less than boiling.
- Steep tea: Add your tea bag or sachet to a teapot or cup, and pour the hot water over them. Let the tea steep for the recommended time, typically 3-5 minutes.
- Strain tea: Remove the tea bag from the teapot or cup.
- Add in the mushroom extract: Once the tea is brewed, you can add a mushroom extract to it. Mushroom extracts usually come with instructions for the recommended dosage to use. Be careful to not use too much your first time trying it out.
- Mix well: Stir the mushroom extract into the tea until it is fully dissolved and mixed evenly. At this point, you can also add sweeteners and other flavourings to taste.
Note that some mushroom extracts may have a strong and bitter taste that may not appeal to everyone.
Many people prefer drinking White and Green teas with the addition of mushrooms.
How to Make Mushroom Tea with Premixed Mushroom/Tea Sachets
Mushroom Tea Sachets are an incredibly easy way of making mushroom tea. Though, they can be hard to find in a local market.
They include tea and mushroom in each bag and the dosage is pre-determined. This makes it very easy to brew while in a hurry.
- Boil water: Start by boiling the desired amount of water in a kettle or pot. The temperature of the water will depend on the type of tea you are using.
- Prepare the sachet: Remove the sachet from its packaging and place it in a teapot or cup.
- Steep the sachet: Pour the hot water over the sachet, and let it steep for the recommended time, typically 3-5 minutes.
- Remove the sachet: After steeping, remove the sachet from the teapot or cup, and discard it.
As you can see mushroom tea sachets are a fast way to enjoy the benefits of both tea and mushrooms, without the need for additional preparation.
How to Make Loose-leaf Mushroom Tea
Loose-leaf mushroom tea is probably the most popular way of making mushroom tea. It requires having your desired mushrooms on hand as well as the loose-leaf tea of your choice.
Brewing tools needed:
- Kettle or pot for boiling water
- Teapot infuser for steeping the loose-leaf tea
- Strainer or sieve for removing artifacts that escape the infuser
- Measuring spoons or a scale for measuring our amounts of tea and mushrooms
Steps for Brewing Loose-leaf Mushroom Tea
- Grind the mushrooms: Start by grinding the dried mushrooms using a coffee grinder or food processor. You can grind the mushrooms fairly finely but there is no need to get carried away. Grinding the mushrooms helps the extraction process in brewing.
- Boil water: Fill a kettle or pot with fresh, cold water and bring it to a boil.
- Measure tea: Measure the desired amount of ground mushroom tea using a measuring spoon or scale.
- Add to infuser: Place the ground mushrooms and your loose-leaf tea in your infuser. Make sure the that there is extra room in the infuser so the tea has space to expand while it is being steeped.
- Pour water: Based on your measurements, pour hot water into the infuser to start the mushroom tea steeping.
- Steep tea: Let the tea steep for the recommended time, usually between 3-5 minutes. Longer steeping times can result in an overly bitter taste.
- Strain tea: If some of the loose-leaf tea and ground mushrooms escape into your tea, scoop or strain them out to create a smooth drinking experience.
Loose-leaf mushroom tea is the ideal way to customize your tea experience. With this method, you get the freedom to choose a variety of mushrooms, as well as control how much of it and tea you would like to use.
It truly is your tea and your experience.
Windansea’s Selection of Mushroom Extracts
Windansea offers a great selection of high-quality mushroom extracts that can be used to make delicious and healthy mushroom tea at home.
Our extracts are made from organic, sustainably grown mushrooms and are carefully processed to preserve the beneficial compounds found in the mushrooms.
We offer a variety of extracts, including those for aiding sleep, immunity, and focus.
Our extracts are easy to use and can be added to tea, coffee, smoothies, or other beverages, making it convenient to incorporate the health benefits of mushrooms into your daily routine.
Try our mushroom extracts today and discover the delicious taste and potential health benefits of mushroom tea.
Disclaimer: The information provided should not be used for diagnosing or treating a health problem or disease. Please refer to our T&C and policies for more information.
About the Author
This article was written by Jordan O'Hara, Founder of Windansea Coffee.
You can learn more about him here.